When you can’t win the argument, shut off the power.
On the rationale that “conspiracy theories,” questions about the highly irregular 2020 election and virtually any realistic reporting on COVID-19 “has to stop,” the largest satellite provider in the United States announced on Jan. 14 that it will drop One America News, a non-leftist, non-Democrat and non-Big-Media TV news provider.
The “canceling” move by DirecTV is likely to financially cripple the conservative TV network, reports pro-leftist, pro-Joe Biden, pro-government Reuters.
DirecTV is 70 percent owned by AT&T. With approximately 15 million subscribers, is OAN’s largest carrier by far. According to Reuters, DirecTV provides 90 percent of the network’s revenue.
OAN is a favorite of President Donald Trump, as it offers an alternative to major news outlets that openly oppose and despise him and his millions of American supporters.
On Jan. 13, Joe Biden adopted the remarkable stance of telling the national media to please censor all their content for anything that does not strictly follow government narratives:
“I make a special appeal to social media companies and media outlets: Please deal with the misinformation and disinformation that’s on your shows. It has to stop.”
OAN CEO Robert Herring Sr. did not respond to requests for comment by email and phone. In an interview with Reuters last year, he said his network provided an important voice. “If I think I’m right, I just go for it,” he said.
Speaking at a recent appearance in Florence, Ariz., Trump said OAN was targeted because of politics and urged his supporters to think twice about using AT&T’s services. “Maybe what we should do is not use AT&T,” he said.