Members of the Boko Haram sect, on Sunday, attacked Kamuyya village, in Biu Local Government Area, killing 20 people.
This happening barely four days after they attacked Kimba village, where they burnt more than half of the houses in the village and shot three people who are currently receiving treatment at the General Hospital in Biu.
Boko Haram militants have recently intensified bloody attacks in the rural areas as over 100 villagers have lost their lives within the last one week.
In the latest incident, the insurgents, armed with assault rifles and explosives, invaded a weekly market in Kamuyya village, and killed 20 persons.
Residents told DailyPost that the insurgents had visited the town about two months ago and asked the village head to mobilise his subjects to contribute the sum of N250,000 for them in order to execute God’s work.
The villagers, mostly peasant farmers and petty traders had only managed to raised N70,000, a situation that angered the insurgents.
They reportedly threatened to return and collect the balance, warning the community to either heed to their demand within a stipulated period or face deadly attack.
“Actually, when they issued such threat, we all took it lightly as we are all relaxed and nobody bothered to make any extra effort to put in the amout they requested. May be that was what ignited this bloody attack because we were unable to meet their demand”, a resident Bukar Umar told DailyPost.
Umara said the incident occurred when over 20 insurgents, suspected to have emerged from bush, stormed the Kamuyya weekly market at a time traders were conducting their businesses and opened fire into the crowd, before setting shops and vehicles on fire.
Accordong to him, the militants, armed with sophisticated weapons, raided the area and proceeded to the major market and began sporadic shootings into the direction of crowd, killing 20 people on the spot and burnt most of the shops in the market.
He noted that they were taken unawares as the town had not come under such heavy attacks for a long time.
He expressed dismay that innocent people were killed freely without the intervention of the security agencies.
“Throughout the onslaught which lasted for over five hours, there was no single security personnel to confront the invaders as they had a field day wreaking havoc on us.
“The invaders snatched several vehicles and loaded them with bags of assorted foodstuff before fleeing the area”, he added.
He also disclosed that the attackers burnt almost all the houses, shops and vehicles, even as they carted away assorted food items.
He added: “They destroyed everything we have, carted away our foodstuff and burnt down the remaining ones.
“The most painful thing is that they did not spare even the fleeing residents as they trailed and killed anybody who attempted to escape”.
Another resident who declined identification claimed that over 100 houses were burnt, after the attackers killed 20 people, leaving several others wounded.
He decried absence of security operatives in the area, even as they alerted relevant authorities on the need to deploy troops to safeguard the community.
“Immediately after the last week attack in Kimba village, also in our local government, where scores of people were murdered, we urged the security agents to deploy their personnel but our appeal fell on deaf ears”, he said.
The resident further explained that after wreaking havoc in market, the hoodlums proceeded to the main town and set houses and vehicles on fire.
“After the carnage in the market, the militants moved into the main town as they set ablaze several houses and vehicles.
“Several residents who escaped the onslaught are now taking refuge in the bush for fear of the unknown. We hope government will come to our rescue because we have lost everything”, he cried.