Defeated in Iraq and Syria, ISIS appears to have taken the path of least resistance to continuing its radical Islamist brutality: Africa.
Last week Islamist militants beheaded more than 50 people, cut up the corpses and abducted women in a bloody attack in Mozambique.
The dismembered victims were found scattered in a forest clearing on Nov. 9 after a soccer field was turned into an execution ground.
Villagers were caught and slain as they tried to get away, with another group of militants setting homes alight during the attack on Nov. 6 and 7, it is believed.
The ghastly attack was the latest in an increasing wave of jihadist violence in Mozambique carried out by extremists linked to ISIS.
Some of the attackers are said to have chanted “Allahu Akbar” as they raided a village and abducted some of the women there, while others slaughtered residents of nearby Muatide, BBC News reports.
As many as 4,000 militants are thought to be fighting against Mozambique”s government and other groups as the Islamists try to establish a caliphate, their failed objective in Iraq and Syria.
“Police learned of the massacre committed by the insurgents through reports of people who found corpses in the woods,” said an officer in the Mueda district.
“It was possible to count 20 bodies spread over an area of about 500 metres,” he added.